Every autumn anew – the Pumpkin Spice Latte (PSL for short) celebrates its season and has enjoyed steadily growing popularity in recent years!
What is a Pumpkin Spice Latte?
The Pumpkin Spice Latte is a coffee drink with a mix of traditional autumn or pumpkin pie spices, foamed milk, espresso, often sugar, decorated with whipped cream if you like.
A drink that fits perfectly into the autumn season, tastes wonderfully of pumpkin and winter spices and is interpreted in many different ways in the preparation.
Here we show you our favorite recipe for preparing Pumpkin Spice Latte as a kind of syrup in Latte Macchiato.
Here we go…
How is a Pumpkin Spice Latte recipe made?
Our recipe is actually quite simple: we prepare a syrup with the spices, extract an espresso and then pour on the foamed milk.
The History of the Pumpkin Spice Latte
The history of the Pumpkin Spice Latte starts with the coffee giant Starbucks. These began in January 2003 with serving the Pumpkin Spice Latte. The company experimented with different pumpkin-to-spice combinations and ratios, eventually settling on a recipe without the pumpkin. In recent years, the drink has become increasingly popular in the cold autumn and winter months.
With high-quality ingredients, a delicious pumpkin and some sugar, the classic PSL can be reinterpreted and easily prepared at home!
Ingredients PSL Syrup
- 500g pumpkin, peeled and diced
- 250g of water
- 500 grams of sugar
- 20g pumpkin pie spices with cinnamon. Alternatively, gingerbread spices are also great!
Preparation Pumpkin Spice Latte Syrup
- Juice the pumpkin cubes and put the juice in a pan. It should be about 250g of pumpkin juice
- Add the water and spices and heat over low heat
- Add the sugar, stirring constantly, until dissolved
- As soon as the liquid is hot, take it off the plate and let it cool down
- If necessary, sieve and then fill into a bottle
- The syrup can now be stored in the refrigerator for a few weeks
- Now it’s time to prepare the PSL…
Preparation Pumpkin Spice Latte
So – now the syrup is prepared and ready for preparation!
- Put the syrup (depending on your taste, 2-4cl) in a milk pitcher
- Pour in the milk and stir briefly
- Now extract a double espresso into a cappuccino cup or latte macchiato glass
- Froth the milk
- pour milk
- maybe decorate with cream, spices,… and enjoy! 😀
Which coffee beans do you use for a Pumpkin Spice Latte?
Everyone has different tastes, but we like to prepare our Pumpkin Spice Latte with a little more milk. So in a latte macchiato glass and with a beverage size of about 2.5dl.
So we not only have a lot of milk, but also a lot of flavor from the spiced syrup – so we need coffees with a little power so that we can add an ingenious coffee taste to the drink!
For this reason we like to use slightly darker roasted coffees in our PSL’s.
Don’t know how to make a Pumpkin Spice Latte?
First, learn how to brew the perfect espresso!
Here’s how to prepare it:
Coffees that go great with the Pumpkin Spice Latte:
Questions about the Pumpkin Spice Latte
A Pumpkin Spice Latte is a latte macchiato which is additionally prepared with pumpkin spices, pumpkin juice and sugar.
It is traditionally in season in autumn and winter and we will show you how you can make a delicious PSL yourself using high-quality ingredients!
When it comes to the flat white, the so-called “double shot” is often spoken of.
This means a double espresso with a size of 40-50g which is used for the flat white.
With the Pumpkin Spice Latte, the calories are extremely dependent on how the recipe is put together! Large coffee chains rely on sugar syrup and whipped cream, which means that large drinks often have over 400 calories!
With fresh pumpkin we get the better drink and are also low in calories, we’ll show you how it’s done!